Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma Recipe is South Indian Breakfast or Snack Recipe with Tea or Coffee time.
TOTAL TIME: 30 minsPREP: 10COOK: 20LEVEL: Easy – YIELD: 2- 3 Person Serving – Recipe Type: Breakfast/ Snack
Ingridiants for Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma Recipe Cook
- Semiya or Vermicelli – 1/2 cup
- Carrot – 1 small, finely chopped
- Beans – 2 – 3, finely chopped
- Potato – 1 small, chopped
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1 cup
- Coconut – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon, grated (optional)
- Oil – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chana dal or Split Bengal gram– 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal or Split Black gram– 1 teaspoon
- Green chili – 1, slit
- Dry red chili – 1
- Hing or Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Ginger – 1 piece, finely chopped
Direction to Cook Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma Recipe Step by Step with Details:
- In a Frying pan, dry roast vermicelli till it becomes golden brown color. Take care to roast in a low-medium flame so that it gets evenly roasted. (If you have roasted vermicelli, you can use it directly). Transfer it to a medium bowl and keep it aside.
- In the same Frying pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot at enough temperature, splutter mustard seeds. Then add all ingredients mentioned Chana dal or Split Bengal gram, Urad dal or Split Black gram, Green chili, Dry red chili, Hing or Asafoetida powder and Ginger heading “for tempering”. Saute for a few seconds.
- Now add chopped onion and saute till it turns translucent light brown.
- Next, add the vegetable Carrot, Beans, Potato, Onion and a quarter teaspoon of salt, mix well. Saute well for a few minutes.
- Now add 1 Cup water and bring it to a boil. Add roasted vermicelli, stir it well in frying pan.
- Reduce the flame, cover the Frying pan and cook till all the moisture is absorbed and veggies are cooked well. Check it in some time.
- IF you like Next add grated coconut, mix well and smear coconut oil on top. Mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Serve it hot and garnish with coriander leaves.