Red Aval Upma or Poha Upma is South Indian Recipe that generally cooks in daily breakfast of South Indian Families.
TOTAL TIME: 20 minsPREP: 10COOK: LEVEL: Easy – YIELD: 2- 3 Person Serving – Recipe Type: Breakfast/ Snack
Ingridients of Red Aval Upma Recipe| South Indian Aval Upma| Poha Upma Recipe:
- Red Aval or Red Beaten Rice – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chana Dal or Split Bengal Gram– 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal or Split Black Gram – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chili – 2, chopped
- Ginger – 1- inch piece, finely chopped
- Asafoetida powder or Hing – a generous pinch
- Curry Leaves – few
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Coconut – 2 tablespoons, grated
- Salt – to taste
How to make Red Aval Upma Recipe| South Indian Aval Upma| Poha Upma Recipe:
- Wash poha and soak it in normal warm water for 5 minutes. Drain the excess water and leave it in a colander to remove the excess water. Keep aside to drain water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot at enough temperature, splutter mustard seeds. Add Urad Dal or Split Black Gram, Chana Dal or Split Bengal Gram, chopped ginger, green chili, curry leaves and saute for a few minutes till dal turns golden brown. Add Asafoetida powder or Hing and mix well. You can also add cumin seeds, roasted peanuts if you wish to. But usually, in kerala cooking, they don’t add peanuts. So I haven’t added any.
- Add onion and saute till onion turns light brownish in color.
- Add the washed and soaked poha, salt, and mix well. Cover and cook for a 2 to 3 minutes at normal temperature. If you feel that the poha is not soaked properly, sprinkle little water, mix well. Then cover and cook for more few minutes.
- Open the lid, add grated coconut, mix well. Turn off the Gas.
- Aval upma is ready to serve and garnish with mint leaves and green chili.